Why It’s Important to Select the Right Hardware for Your Custom Cabinets in Phoenix, AZ
If you’ve never purchased kitchen cabinets before, you might not realize that most of them do not come with hardware. Therefore, it’s up to you to select the right hardware for your custom cabinets in Phoenix, AZ.
Much of your selection is going to be based on your own personal preference, but it’s important to note that there are methods of selecting hardware to best align with the style of the cabinetry, other hardware in the kitchen and the general design and décor of the rest of your home. With this in mind, here are a few tips that can help you choose hardware that will flow well with the other design elements of your home:
- Match design styles: The hardware you select should be in keeping with the design theme you have in the rest of your kitchen, particularly with the cabinets. Traditional cabinets often have more details and ornamentation, which means they can benefit from simpler, smoother knobs. Modern, contemporary cabinets that have a sleek, smooth appearance, meanwhile, often benefit from longer pulls. These are just a couple examples of how those styles can influence hardware choices.
- Pulls versus knobs: Speaking of pulls and knobs, there are situations in which it makes more sense to use one than the other. A traditional or rustic kitchen is much more likely to use knobs than pulls. In general, the more ornate the cabinets, the more likely you’ll go with a knob than a pull, because the knob is less likely to take attention away from the design of the cabinet.
- Use cohesive finishes: While you can use different hardware around the kitchen, you should always make sure that the finishes match. You’ll find brass, brushed nickel, chrome, satin and many more. A failure to match the hardware finishes will result in a very hodgepodge-looking kitchen. This also goes for the finishes that you have for items in your kitchen, like your sink and appliances. Make sure all the finishes you select are complementary and consistent with each other.
- Consider cabinet color: The color of your cabinets can also be a factor in selecting the right type of hardware. If you have cabinets that are painted, you’ll be able to work with most types of finishes. However, cabinets that have been stained aren’t going to be quite as flexible, as brown isn’t as easy to pair with as most cabinet paint colors.
- Make quality a priority: Sure, it’s always tempting to grab the cheapest hardware off the shelf at your local big box store, especially if you’re going to be installing a lot of new cabinets and want to save a bit of money. But you should never overlook the importance of quality with your hardware. Your kitchen cabinets get a lot of use, and you want your hardware to be easy to use and capable of withstanding years of daily usage. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for when it comes to the hardware you select.
These are just a few examples of some of the biggest considerations you’ll want to keep in mind when selecting the hardware for your new custom cabinets. Contact Authentic Custom Cabinetry to hire a fully-licensed, insured and bonded contractor to take care of your custom cabinets in Phoenix, AZ and Las Vegas, NV! Kitchen cabinets, bathroom cabinets, office cabinets, and more. Contact us today for details!
Categorised in: Custom Cabinets